Each New Year makes us think about ways to improve our future. What would help you to be happier in 2019 and beyond?
Start with one way in which you would like to see your life different and try to figure out how to make it happen. Plan the steps and be sure to include a time frame.
IF YOU WANT TO IMPROVE A RELATIONSHIP:
• Set a time to sit down and talk to the person.
• Be prepared to listen as well as talk.
• Be prepared to consider some changes based on what the other person requests.
• Plan to be concise so there is equal give and take.
• Take time-outs if the discussion becomes heated.
• Expect for both of you to take some time to think over what has been said.
• Realize that it takes several (perhaps many) conversations to improve a relationship.
IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE A BAD HABIT:
• Write down exactly what you would like to discontinue.
• Write down ways you think other people would suggest changing the habit even if the idea sounds outrageous. What you will be doing will be brainstorming by yourself. Or, brainstorm with others.
• Try the idea that sounds most reasonable to you. Expect that you may have setbacks. Try not to let the setbacks stop you from trying again.
• If the first way doesn’t seem to be working try a different way.
OTHER TYPES OF CHANGES YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER:
• Starting to speak more respectfully to your child or parent of partner.
• Making a therapist appointment to address that depression, anxiety, fear, etc.
• Making that phone call you’ve been putting off.
• Finishing that project.
• Giving to a charity.
• Making out a budget.
• Cleaning out that closet.
• Planning for a job change or to go into business for yourself.
HINTS FOR SUCCESS:
• Don’t let past failures stop you from trying again.
• Don’t let other people’s opinions deter you.
• Don’t expect overnight success.
• Don’t expect to do it perfectly.
• Consider subtracting some other things from your schedule to allow time to devote to planning and
implementing your change.
• MOST IMPORTANTLY only plan to change one thing at a time. When one change is solid you can choose, if you want, to try another
BEST OF LUCK FOR A HAPPY AND IMPROVED 2019.